Parent/Contributory Parent/Sponsored Parent Visas Overview
- Parent Visa
- Aged Parent Visa
- Contributory Parent Visas
- Contributory Aged Parent Visas
- Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa
OverviewSubclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa is a temporary visa which allows adult child who is at least 18 years old and is either an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident who has been usually resident in Australia for at least the 4 years or settled eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for at least the 4 years, to sponsor their parent(s) to live temporarily in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years.
Advantages Compared to Other Visas for Parents
- No balance of family test;
- Does not require Assurance of Support but need to maintain adequate health insurance;
- Visa holder can stay in Australia throughout the period of visa validity unlike 18-month, 3 or 5-year Subclass 600 Tourist visa granted to parents with condition 8558 which restricts parents staying in Australia for more than 12 months in total in any 18-month period.
Disadvantages Compared to Other Visas for Parents
- Applicant must be outside Australia to apply for this Subclass 870 visa unless the applicant obtained "Permission to Apply in Australia";
- Two-step processes which require sponsorship application to be approved before visa application can be lodged;
- Temporary visa with no work rights (exemption may apply in limited circumstances);
- To be granted a further Subclass 870 visa, the applicant must has been outside Australia for 90 consecutive days;
Who can be a Sponsor?
- An adult child of the applicant or the adult child's spouse or de facto partner (who is not parent sponsor), who is at least 18 years old and above;
- Sponsor with an annual taxable income of at least AUD 83,454.80 (accurate as of the time of writing, subject to further changes) in the most recently completed financial year (income can be combined with the income of the sponsor's spouse or de facto partner and/or the child of visa applicant who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen);
- For combined income, sponsor's income must be at least 50% of minimum income threshold (of AUD 83,454.80 at the time of writing).
Stay Period3 years or 5 years from the visa grant date. After which, existing visa holder may apply for further Subclass 870 visa provided the total validity period of all Subclass 870 visas does not exceed 10 years.
Apply from...The applicant must be outside Australia, to apply for this visa unless the applicant has "Permission to Apply in Australia". The applicant may be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance, to be granted this visa.
If you are ready to commence your life in Australia, contact Ausdirect Migration today at 1800 462 188.